A section of the 2 Freeway in Glendale remained closed early Monday as crews continued to battle a brush fire that erupted in the Eagle Rock area and quickly scorched 30 acres a day earlier.
The fire, which started at about 4 p.m. Sunday in the 2900 block of West Colorado Boulevard near the interchange of the 2 and 134 freeways, forced the evacuation of about 100 homes in Glendale. Residents along East Glenoaks Boulevard from Mount Carmel Drive to Bywood Drive were able to return to their homes by about 10 p.m. Sunday, according to the Glendale Fire Department.
The fire snarled Sunday afternoon traffic and sent up a large plume of smoke that could be seen across the Los Angeles Basin. Traffic jams were reported on surface streets throughout the area, including Colorado Boulevard, as portions of both the 134 and 2 freeways were closed.
The northbound 2 Freeway at the 134 Freeway remained closed as firefighters mopped up in the area while keeping an eye out for flare-ups. It is not clear when the freeway will reopen. The westbound 134 Freeway connector to the 2 Freeway also is closed, according to Caltrans.
The blaze, fueled by hot temperatures, charred dry bush and palm trees near the freeway interchange. It had grown to 30 acres and was 50% contained as of Monday morning. Firefighters had gained the upper hand on the blaze Sunday evening and had stopped forward progression of the fire, according to the Glendale Fire Department.
There were no reports of injuries and no structures burned. The cause of the fire is not clear, officials said.
You may have missed:-
You may also like:-
- Tessa Majors: A Tribute to the Slain Barnard College Student
- Download Prince Omar Ft. Daddy Andre – Pull Over
- Thousands gather to mourn 2 victims of Jersey City shooting
- What we know about Jersey City shooting: Suspects tied to prior killing, motive unclear
- Download: Partynextdoor – Loyal (Ft. Drake) Instrumental
- Download PARTYNEXTDOOR – Loyal ft. Drake
- Download Roddy Ricch – Tip Toe ft. A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie
- Download Davido – Risky ft. Popcaan
- President Trump Calls Impeachment Articles “Sheer Political Madness”
- Outrage After Runner Slaps Reporter on the Backside on Live TV
- NFL Playoff Picture 2019: Eagles & Cowboys Battle in NFC Standings