No fewer than one thousand mobile telephones worth over fifteen million naira, were destroyed by the management of the Polytechnic, Ibadan on Wednesday.
A report had it that the mobiles phones which were destroyed were seized from students during various examinations conducted in the institution in the last one year.
The school revealed that the devices were seized in order to reduce examination malpractices through the use of information and communication technology.
The burning of the items was supervised by a senior lecturer and the immediate past Deputy Rector of the Institution, Mr Bayo Oyeleke.
Others at the event were; Deputy Registrar of the school, Mrs Ayoade, the Public Relations Officer, Alhaji Soladoye Adewole, Chief Security Officer, Head of Legal Unit, Ibadan, Barrister Ige Akinsola and President of the Student Union Government, Akadiri Bayonle.
Oyeleke while speaking stated that the institution usually warned students against bringing their phones into the examination halls, but some students went against the rule.
He said, “However, some students still go into the exam hall with their mobile phones which is against the rules and regulations of the institution.”
Oyeleke stated that the institution decided to burn the mobile telephones to serve as a deterrent to students who wish to indulge in the illegal and inappropriate act.
Adewole, which speaking on the development stated that the management decided to burn the mobile telephones so that they will not get into wrong hands.
The PRO of the school while speaking on the action said, “Up to 1,000 mobile telephones seized in the last one year were burnt. They were seized during examinations in the last one year.”
“But, it will not be alright if we return them to the owners because we want to ensure sanctity of our examinations in the school. The management decided to burn the mobile telephones, it will be inappropriate if we say that we will return them, they may fall into wrong hands.”
See photo below:
“We have been warning students not to take phones into examination halls. Any student that attempted to cheat using modern technology like phones will have the phone seized.”
“We want cheating through the use of technology to stop. The exercise was attended by lecturers, students leaders were there and even members of the press council of the institution were also there.”
You may have missed:-
- BREAKING: Alhaji Rafiu Tinubu is dead, Sanwo-Olu Grieves
- These Are the Victims of the Santa Cruz Diving Boat Fire
- Horrific! Student Breaks Both Legs After Falling 80ft Attempting Extreme Balcony Yoga Pose
- The Amazon rainforest is on fire. Climate scientists fear a tipping point is near
- Portion of 2 Freeway remains closed as crews battle Eagle Rock brush fire
- How Nigerian soldiers killed police officers, set me free — Wadume (Watch Video)
- Yahoo Boy Runs Mad In Delta State After Refusing To Sacrifice Mother (Video)
- Nigerian Doctor Dies While Trying To Save Electrocuted Neighbour In Lagos
- Ogun Masquerade Set On Fire At Ojude Oba… See What Happened After [WATCH VIDEO]
- OH NOT AGAIN! Four Soldiers Killed In Boko Haram Attack In Borno
- Gunman Killed After Fatally Shooting Officer in Highway Shootout Caught on Video
- Not Again! University Graduate SHOT DEAD In Renewed Cult Clash In Calabar [GRAPHIC PHOTOS]
- Woman Died Saving Her Infant Son in El Paso Walmart Shooting
- Fight Against Boko Haram: Buhari Considers The Use Of New Technologies
- US Intelligence Chief Dan Coats Leaves Trump Administration
- Chimamanda Adichie In Meghan Markle’s ‘Forces For Change’ Vogue list
- Trump Attacks Cummings, Says Rep’s District Is Disgusting, Rodent-Infested
- A 13-Year-Old Pupil Found Dead In Edo State
- (Terrorist) Boko Haram: Is Leah Sharibu Dead?
- Just In: Snakes Chase Out Lawmakers
- College Student Killed by Classmate Was Shot 8 Times in the Abdomen: Cops
- Election 2020: Don’t Make Campaign Promises About the Middle East
- Are Russia and America Headed Toward Nuclear War?