The Super Eagles of Nigeria on Wednesday beat the Bafana Bafana of South Africa 2-1 to qualify for the Semi-Finals of the ongoing Africa Cup of Nations(AFCON).
Nigeria will now face either Algeria or Ivory Coast after their hard-fought victory over Baxter’s team at the Cairo International Stadium.
Ahead of today’s game the Super Eagles head coach Gernot Rohr had disclosed that he will make defensive changes against South Africa.
He certainly did, with the introduction of left-back Jamilu Collins for Torino’s right back Ola Aina.
There was also no place for Moses Simon, who had t make way for Villareal’s Samuel Chukwueze.
Fresh from a stunning 1-0 victory over hosts Egypt, Bafana were looking to send three-time African champions out of the competition in the form of the Super Eagles.
But Samuel Chukwueze scored the opener with a cool finish beyond goalkeeper Ronwen Williams in the 27th minute to put a dent the South Africa’s hope for a winner.
Alex Iwobi beat his marker and spotted Chukwueze. The winger’s initial effort was deflected to his path and he applied the finishing touch.
Sundowns attacking midfielder, Bongani Zungu, pulled parity for Bafana Bafana with 17 minutes left on the clock.
It took the intervention of VAR to award the goal to Zungu.
The killer punch was delivered in the 89th minute by William Troost-Ekong.
He poked the ball to the net after Ronwen Williams failed to deal with a left-sided corner.
Let see your comment about this sport:-
You may have missed:-
- Zach LaVine, Bulls outlast rookie Trae Young, Hawks in 4OT thriller See Photos
- UPDATED: Super Eagles Qualify For 2019 AFCON
- UEL: Keown Reveals Why Arsenal Lost To BATE Borisov
- Tyreek Hill Injury: Update on Chiefs WR & Sammy Watkins’ Fantasy Outlook
- The WWE Still Needs Brock Lesnar
- Super Eagles’ Coaches Hunt For Goalkeepers
- Sixers’ Mike Scott Knocks Out Rowdy Eagles Fan [WATCH]
- Shocker: Thieves Invade Kanu Nwankwo’s Hotel In Lagos, Disappear With All His Medals
- Reports: DeMarcus Cousins, Rajon Rondo agree to deals with Lakers
- Real Madrid Sack Coach Lopetegu
- Paul George And Russell Westbrook Got Double Triple-Doubles
- Palace Send Huddersfield Packing From Premier League
- Nigerian Super Eagles Defeat Cameroon To Reach Quarter-Finals
- NBA All-Star 2019: Three takeaways from Rising Stars Challenge
- Meet Paul George, Destroyer of Worlds
- Lonzo Ball injury: Lakers boss Luke Walton gives update on return date and new signing
- Lakers lose to Hawks, don’t seem particularly interested in making playoffs
- Lacazette Salvages Arsenal’s Unbeaten Run, Halts Liverpool’s Title Charge
- LA LIGA!! Barcelona Boss Valverde Speaks On Lionel Messi Missing The El Clasico
- Kawhi Leonard Agrees to Sign With Clippers in Free Agency